I love this tutorial!
I did get a little confused, well, ok, very confused about which parts I was supposed to be interfacing but once you've got that figured out it's a really good project.
I used some Laura Ashley floral cotton which I picked up on ebay and some black cotton I had left over from a previous project. Mainly I chose black & only used two colours because I'm terrible at finding contrasting colours (I will forever envy quilters) but also because the only zips I had wouldn't go at all well.
The best part is I can put my mini moleskines in one of the large pockets and my notes in the other. I'm thinking about adding a pen loop at the centre. We'll see.
If you do the project & use just cotton like me I recommend interfacing the snap, too. I'm probably going to redo the snap with some heavily interfaced cotton at some point.