It wasn't until I gave up wheat a few weeks ago and started baking spelt bread that I finally got it right.
I chose this recipe out of all them because it was sugar-free (yes, I've given up sugar too).
The only thing I don't like about this recipe is I don't get to knead anything.
Original recipe here, only slightly modified below.
Three Minute Spelt Bread
750g Spelt Flour
15g Fast Action Yeast
75g Sunflower Seeds
75g Pumpkin Seeds
3/4tsp Sea Salt
750ml Warm Water
A couple of handfuls of oats, plus some for topping
* Preheat oven to 200c, Gas Mark 6 (180c if using a fan oven).
1) Combine the dry ingredients in a very large mixing bowl. Add the water, mixing as you do so. You will be left with a very sticky, wet dough. It's best not to handle it by hand - use a wooden spoon or a spatula.
2) Mix well and turn into a greased loaf tin. Sprinkle oats over the top.
3) Bake for around 50 minutes. Please note this will probably depend on your oven so please keep an eye on it & check it towards the end of cooking time (though try to avoid opening the oven until you need to remove the loaf). The first time I made the bread I baked it for an hour as listed on the original recipe. It was far too long and I ended up with a very very crisp crust. 45 minutes seems to be perfect for my oven.
4) Remove from oven, cool, slice & enjoy!
The original recipe also mentioned that it is better left overnight in a cool place to rise before baking. I tried this the first time but I found that it rose and then collapsed again. I haven't tried it again since.
I only own one loaf tin so I increased the measurements by half to suit.
It tastes absolutely amazing with cheese! I can't get enough of it :)